Thursday, August 27, 2009

Top 10 Spielberg Movies

Recent Spielberg news had me thinking about how great of a director he used to be ("still is" remains to be seen). So I decided to make my own personal top 10 Spielberg movies. If you disagree, discuss.

1. Jaws

Nothing beats this masterpiece that shows Spielberg's transition from film school student to acclaimed director. This movie introduced his genius. The mechanical shark malfunctioned and they couldn't get it to work right, so he didnt show it....and it works. As a matter of fact, had they shown the shark the movie would've been nowhere near as effective.

2. Saving Private Ryan

In my opinion, this is Steven's best shot movie. It is almost flawless. Spielberg's vision made war look horrific and realistic instead of polished as Hollywood tends to do. It's an in your face and gut wrenching film. When it was over you felt exhausted because it literally felt like you were in the trenches with the soldiers. It made Tom Hanks the great actor he is today.

3. Poltergeist

I know, Spielberg didn't direct this movie, but technically he did. If you ask anyone involved in the movie they will tell you Steven directed it. Studio politics put Tobe Hooper's name on it. Anyway, I remember seeing this movie with my parents in the theater. When we got in the car to leave (even though he'll deny it to this day) I remember my dad locking the car doors. Now, my dad is far from a punk. He's old school and hardcore. And for a movie to make my dad react like that, it had to be something special. It was.

4. E.T.

This was Steven's cash cow. It broke records and made a ton of money. Steven is always most comfortable when he is shooting his movie from the perspective of children. I will go on record as saying that no one knows kids movies better than Spielberg. He has a way of making audiences identify with his young characters. And yes, this movie made me cry like a girl. By the way, if you look at Poltergeist and E.T., artistically you can see the similarities.

5. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

My favorite of the Jones'. The bugs, monkey brains, hearts being ripped out of chests, the diamond mine chase, Shortround (what does that mean anyway). I loved it all. As a kid this movie blew my mind. Nobody thought Spielberg could top Raiders of the Lost Ark. Surprise suckas!!!!

6. Raiders of the Lost Ark

The introduction of Indiana Jones. The swagger. The fedora. The whip. This movie redefined the adventure genre and spawned countless pathetic copycats (still to this day). This movie really defines Spielberg's knack for storytelling. It also was pretty graphic for its time. The face melting scene was a big deal in the early 80s.

7. Jurassic Park

I remember taking a date to this movie. We were going to see another movie but we got to the theater too late. The only thing showing when we got there was Jurassic Park. I thought it was going to be a kids movie, but who cares. I was just wanting to get into a dark room to make out with this chick. Needless to say, not one kiss was involved. I was too busy having my eyes glued to the screen. The realistic looking dinosaurs put my jaw on the sticky theater floor. I went into the theater with zero expectations and walked out with raising the expectations on all other movies after it. This movie was and is still freakin' awesome.

8. Schindler's List

Spielberg surprised everyone with his dramatic turn. Known for putting out movies about aliens, ghosts, and dinosaurs, Steven throws a curve ball and releases a movie about the holocaust. The movie which starts very slow is definitely worth the wait. Who knew Spielberg could churn out drama?

9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

I have a friend who thinks "sci-fi and fantasy movies are retarded". His only exception to the rule...Indiana Jones. Now if a movie can make my close minded buddy like it, it must be the real deal. This one is his favorite of the series. Its my third favorite (Crystal Skull doesn't exist to me). The movie didn't rely on effects as much like Temple of Doom and focused more on story. My favorite part of the movie is seeing Indiana Jones as a kid. This movie proves that Shia Lebouf ain't no River Phoenix.

10. Empire of the Sun

The introduction of Christian Bale to the world. Which, in my opinion, is a double edged sword. His movies are good but he cant act to save his life. Empire of the Sun is another instance of Spielberg putting the audience in the perspective of a child. This movie doesn't get the credit it deserves. I'm not sure why. The only thing I can think of is that the main character is British. And we all know how close minded the American movie audience can be. Its a shame though because it is a good movie and shows Bale being a better actor as a child than an adult.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

 
Hit Counters