Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Halloweens From Best to Worst

Rob Zombie's Halloween II is coming out this weekend which started up a conversation between me and a friend of mine. The subject being "which were the best Halloween sequels". It started a great discussion, so I decided to post my Halloweens in order from best to worst. Here it goes....

1. Halloween-The Night HE Came Home(1978)

Nothing beats the original. No matter the budget, the actors,the story....nothing will top the original. John Carpenter's original was the first independent movie to be considered successful. Had this movie not been made, the horror genre wouldnt be the money making machine it is today. This movie is considered as being one of the scariest movies ever made eventhough there was barely any blood in it at all. It was Carpenter's gift of building tension and suspense. The scene where Laurie is trying to convince the boy she's babysitting to hurry up and unlock the door as Michael Myers closes in on her is probably the most suspenseful scene I've ever seen. No matter how many times I've seen it, it still puts me on the edge of my seat.

2. Halloween II-More of the Night HE Came Home

Believe it or not, this one almost made my number one spot. Reason being, this movie scared the crap out of me as a kid. I remember being 6 years old and watching this movie in the dark. It straight up freaked me out. Almost 30 years later I still hate going in to hospitals because of this movie. Dick Warlock played the most convincing Michael Myers in the series. Yeah he was extremely short, but it didnt matter because he made Michael Myers actually look like a stalking psychopath. I know it sounds crazy, but the way he moved and walked is what made this movie. Now I agree the movie was sub-par and quickly thrown together and you can tell. There are plenty of plot holes and filming errors. It is said that John Carpenter and Debra Hill wrote the movie in one night after getting drunk. Carpenter has publicly stated he never wanted Halloween to have a sequel but agreed to write one so Universal would green light The Thing. I'm glad he did.

3. Halloween 4-The Return of Michael Myers

Another childhood memory of mine. I remember being 14 and begging my mom and dad to take me to see Halloween 4. My father said he would if I mowed the lawn. The lawn had never looked more beautiful. I loved this movie. The way Haddonfield is portrayed is the heart of the film. It's small townness is what made it appealing to me. Everything from the local drugstore, the vigilante rednecks, and the rows of houses were the best part of the movie. The pacing of Halloween 4 is perfect and other horror directors should use this movie as a blueprint for pacing. This movie couldnt have been made better.

4. Rob Zombie's Halloween (2007)

Although there are some things I would've done different, Zombie gave it a hell of an effort. You can tell he is passionate about Halloween. I liked his use of soundtrack. Rush's Tom Sawyer was absolutely appropriate in the scene it was used. In his defense, no matter what Rob would've done, people were going to critique the film. I personally thought Rob tried too hard to shock audiences and it was so obvious that it made it not shocking. The babysitters who say "fuck" every 3 words and the nudity was too much. It felt EXTREMELY out of place. But Rob gave it a valiant effort and other than a handful of flaws it was very entertaining.

5. Halloween 666-The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)

Most people have no idea what I am talking about, but Halloween-The Curse of Michael Myers was cut to death by the movie studio. The ending result made no sense. But thank God for the internet and giving us access to the producer's cut for Curse. All the ramblings of the Thorn Cult, the astrology stuff, and the limping around of a gimped up Dr. Loomis actually make sense. Eventhough the concept of the movie is silly, it was still fun to watch. Too bad most people will never be able to see it. Google it.

6. Halloween III-Season of the Witch

I only like this movie for nostalgia reasons and the Silver Shamrock jingle. Other than that, the concept of trying to delete Michael Myers from the Halloween franchise was an utter flop. The soundtrack of this film is the only thing that saves it. Often, still to this day, during the "halloween season" I still throw this movie on when I clean the house or doing other mundane things just for the sound of it. I know it sounds weird but it's true.

7. Halloween H20

I had a lot of hope for this movie when I went to see it and I walked away feeling like I watched Scream but with Michael Myers. It looked like SCream, sounded like Scream, felt like Scream. 90s horror sucked and this is proof why. I hated that they totally ignored Halloween's 4-6 and that the film felt like it was 45 minutes long. The only thing the movie has going for it were the return of Laurie Strode and a few suspenseful scenes. Other than that, this movie was just so-so.

8. Halloween-The Curse of Michael Myers

This movie was a complete mess. Some of the biggest plot holes in movie history. It was Donald Pleasance's final role and it was hard to watch. Every time he was on the screen it looked like he was taking his last breath. But, as I stated earlier in the producer's cut, this movie made absolutely no sense. Whatever executive made the decision to cut it and put it out should be banned from being withing 100 feet of a camera. And the kid they used as Michael Myers' successor was one of the worst acting kids ever. One thing I like about this movie is that it's funny to see an unknown Paul Rudd play Tommy Doyle.

9. Halloween 5-The Revenge of Michael Myers

Fresh off the successful foot heals of Halloween 4 comes this turd. I remember seeing the trailer for it and going nuts with anticipation. Then I saw it and felt like someone kicked me in the nuts. The bumbling cops with the Three Stooges music playing in the background when they were on the screen. The continuity errors. The unexplained Man in Black bullshit. The annoying characters. It all sucked. The movie's only saving grace was Donald Pleasance. He was bad ass in this movie and took shit from no one.

9999999. Halloween Resurrection

One of the worst movies ever made. Not just in the Halloween series but ALL movies. I love the Halloween franchise so you can guess my utter disappointment and sadness after seeing it. Busta Rhymes using kung-fu to beat up Michael Myers is the bottom line of this movie. I hated it and everyone who had anything to do with it. It was a spit in the face to Halloween fans. Personally, I act like this movie was never made and almost left it off the list. But that isnt being fair. So i put it in the spot where it belongs. Number 9999999.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry man, Halloween 3 is the worst. Stupidest movie ever.

    P.S.
    White people go back to Europe!

    ReplyDelete

 
Hit Counters