Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Prs and Cons of: 'The Descent 2'


PROS:

CONTINUATION: I love sequels that pick off right when the previous one ends. This one starts exactly where the first one ends (don't wanna give any spoilers away).

RETURNING CHARACTERS: Some characters from the original return in this movie. Being a fan of the first Descent, this delighted me.

GORE: This movie amped the gore up. Way gorier than the original.

NON-STOP ACTION: Where the first one took a little bit to get things going, this one doesn't wait. The action is pretty much from start to finish. But this also creates a CON.

CONS:

CLAUSTROPHOBIC NO MORE: The first movie is the most claustrophobic movie I have ever seen. The tight squeezes through the tunnels and caves had me wincing at every scene (I'm claustrophobic). It was extremely effective. But the sequel doesnt have any of that. Areas were open and some of them were even lit up (how is that possible if you are underground) and this was a HUGE disappointment for me.

NEW CHARACTERS: As I stated earlier, the action is non-stop. Unfortunately this took away from character development. I didn't give a damn about anyone except the survivor from the original so when the new characters died it had no effect. This movie might've been completely different for the better had they spent a little more time on this.

CREATURES: For some reason, they look different. Can't put my finger on it but something's missing or changed. A shame too because The Descent demons are some of the scariest creatures ever put to film

NO NEIL MARSHALL: I know, I'm sad too. The director of the original Descent is a master in my eyes. Would've loved to see his genius brought to this film.

SCARES: The original film had me jumping out of my skin. The sequel only had me jumping once. A lot of it you see coming. Booooooooooooo!

BOTTOM LINE:
It's not as good as the original and you can tell the sequel lacks Neil Marshall's vision. But it is still a good movie none the less. The Descent is one of the best horror movies ever made and this one is a worthy follow-up but not a classic. The Descent 2 is definitely worth watching and even buying (on blu-ray April 27th).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters