Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Nightmare on Elm Street Rankings

With the "re-imaging' coming out next week, I figured I'd give my rankings for the Nightmare series. If I ruffle feathers, good.


1. Nightmare on Elm Street

One of the scariest movies I have ever seen and one of the most sinister villains to ever grace the big screen. It was trend setting, monumental, original, and timeless. This movie might be one of the best horror movie ever made. I know there is a remake coming out next week, and though it may be good, I can guarantee it isn't as good as this movie. If the Academy Awards recognized horror movies, then Robert Englund would've gotten an Oscar nod. Wes Craven has never been on top of his game like he was in this film. Matter of fact, I just watched it yesterday on blu-ray and I recommend you go purchase it now!


2. Wes Craven's New Nightmare

The last and arguably greatest sequel of the series is the most original. It's about the real life actors of the Nightmare movies REALLY being stalked by Freddy. Wes Craven returns as director and you can tell. The movie has quality. Freddy never looked scarier than what he did in this film (except for that trench coat). Heather Langenkamp returns as...Heather Langenkamp. I always felt like she was the driving force of the Nightmare movies and it was refreshing to see her reprising her role. I liked New Nightmare a lot and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.


3. Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

The second best of the sequels (which isn't saying much). This movie wasn't bad at all. I loved how each kid Freddy was stalking had their own powers. It was a refreshing twist to see the kids use Freddy's powers against him. But unfortunately, this is the film that started turning Freddy into what I call the comedian Freddy Dangerfield. It's not predominant like it is in the later films, but the trend starts here and with the exception of 'New Nightmare', I consider this to be Freddy's last film and don't really acknowledge the others.


4. Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

I remember as a kid being excited as hell to go see this in the theaters. The whole family got together and we all drove 50 miles away to see it. We went in pumped. We left damn near in tears. It was awful. I saw part 2 a few months ago on TV, and it looks even worse now. The movie is weird and has lots of homosexual undertones. The S&M gym teacher, Jesse always running away and dismissing advances from the female lead, etc. Many think the movie is all about a homosexual boy "coming out" and coping with his sexuality. Regardless, it sucks. The only saving grace of this movie is that Freddy is still a horror icon and has yet to be turned in to a comedian.

DISCLAIMER: NOW FORGIVE ME BECAUSE I HAVENT SEEN THE REST OF THESE MOVIES IN YEARS. SO THEY ALL BLUR TOGETHER TO ME. I WILL TRY MY HARDEST TO DIFFERENTIATE THEM EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE COMPLETE TURDS.


5. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

Freddy becomes more funny and corny. In this one we are treated to a person turning into a cockroach and Freddy eating a pizza with screaming meatballs. I'm not making this up. We are introduced to some random ass character named Alice. Every one from all the previous sequels are dead. So what does the movie offer? I have no clue. That's why I only watched it once.


6. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child

A movie that has flaming dog urine? Check. Can't remember much about this movie. I remember Freddy Dangerfield being an annoying asshole with his cheesy, unfunny one-liners. He has completely lost any sense of being scary and at this point I don't think the movie studio is even trying. Showing up as Super Freddy in the comic book dream sequence pretty much sums this movie up. On a side note, The Dream Child stars the ugliest kid ever put to film, Whit Herford. Man that kid is ugly. He looks like a goth kid with down syndrome.


7. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

Freddy Dangerfield is in full blown stand-up mode in this one. He should have a spotlight on him the entire movie. This sequel had so many queer-ass parts I don't know where to begin. The Nintendo Freddy Power Glove? "Now I have power!" A ridiculous 3-D ending that is hands down the worst 3-D ever put to film? Demon worms that give Freddy his power? The main character getting killed halfway through the movie? Appearances by Rosanne Barr and Tom Arnold? But after all of these silly and retarded examples, the one that stands out to me the most is, after all these movies and all the power displayed by Freddy, he dies by........getting blown up by a pipe bomb. Yes go ahead and re-read that. A pipe bomb. That's how they do it? That's how they treat the fans who have followed Freddy through his rise from sadistic child murderer to cornball comedian. A pipe bomb. Freddy's Dead? Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters