Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Top 10 Scariest Ghost Movies

Since Paranormal Activity has become successful, I decided to make a list of MY scariest ghost flicks. They are in order....

1. The Shining


Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece is by far the scariest ghost movie of all time. Jack Nicholson provides the role of a lifetime as Jack Torrance who slowly goes crazy with his family in a secluded haunted hotel. How he wasn't even nominated for an Academy Award for The Shining proves that the whole awards process is full of shit. This movie has creepiness factor from start to finish. The isolation the characters feel has a real sense of claustrophobia. You literally feel like the walls are closing in on you. Kubrick was a master at it. The ghosts pushing Jack into murdering his family makes the tension go from 0 to 100000. Is Jack crazy and seeing things? Are the ghosts real? Do some research and draw your own conclusion.


2. Poltergeist

There must be something real about this movie. All of the deaths and unexplained events that surrounded the filming of this movie are too coincidental. Poltergeist is over 20 years old and still as scary as it was then. The toy clown, man eating tree, face peeling, swimming skeletons, child eating wall monster. Please...GO to the light!


3. The Blair Witch Project


Shot for $60,000 and grossed over $140 million. Numbers don't lie. Even after the novelty factor, Blair Witch is still a disturbing movie. The documentary style put you in the characters shoes which helped it's effectiveness. Although you don't see one ghost in the movie, it's what's not there that's scary. The guy standing in the corner of the basement of the shack still gives me goosebumps.


4. Session 9

Be forewarned....this is a slow movie. It is all about atmosphere. The creepy run down Danvers Lunatic Asylum is the REAL star of this movie. It is a REAL former asylum. Not many have seen this film but every time I recommend this movie to someone they end up loving it. It's very effective and makes you feel uneasy as you watch it. I was skeptical at first because it stars David Caruso who I think is a tool bag, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. Watch Session 9 in the dark....pronto!


5. The Fog (1980)

John Carpenter's take on the supernatural is definite classic status. Ghost pirates = BRILLIANT! Every actor in this movie is on point. Hal Holbrook as the drunken priest is convincing and shows his range. Carpenter's music, of course, provides some real tension, Forget that weak ass remake. Watch the original.


6. The Entity


This movie is crazy!! It's about a woman who is being raped by a ghost in her house. It's shocking and scary. Supposedly, it's based on a true story which makes it even crazier. Barbara Hershey gives a commanding performance as the main character being stalked by the ghost. I haven't seen this movie in a long time, but it had to be good for me to remember it for this list. Matter of fact, I'm going to rent it now.


7. The Amityville Horror (1979)

The best haunted house movie ever! Every time I see those windows on another house it's the first thing I think of. This movie scared me as a kid and is still just as good. The house screaming to the priest "GET OUT!" is freaky still. James Brolin is amazing in this film. Had he not been in it, I doubt it would've been as good. Supposedly every bit of this movie is true. God I hope not.


8. The Sixth Sense

Shyamalan's only good movie. Bruce Willis is awesome and Haley Joel should've gotten an Oscar. I remember seeing this in the theater and the ending blowing my mind. I remember the whole audience going "OH MY GOD!". It's a shame it's never the same after you watch it again but still a good movie none the less. The ghost scenes made you jump and put you on the edge of your seat. I loved every minute of it. Too bad Shyamalan proved he was a one hit wonder. But what a hit it is.


9. The Eye (2003)(Korean Version)

The first time I watched this movie I was with a friend. There were two times where we literally jumped out of our seats. It's a great premise. A woman gets an eye transplant, but her new eye starts revealing ghosts around her. It is very slow at times, but when the ghosts appear, it slaps you in the face. The "GET OUT OF MY CHAIR" scene is memorable. Remember that I warned you.


10. The Ring

First off, I'm not a big Ring fan. Maybe it was because I never saw it in the theater. I don't know. Everybody thinks I'm crazy for this but it is what it is. Now with that being said, the first 10 minutes of this movie might be some of the best horror ever filmed. It blew me away. Come to think of it, that might be why I didn't like the rest of the movie. After the first scene, I expected more. I guess it was kind of just a let down, for me anyways. I understand why other people like it. It's just not my thing. But the first scene alone is worth making this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters