Sunday, September 27, 2009

Weinstein Brothers Talk Ramkes for 2010

Ok, I respect the Weinstein's more than pretty much anyone in Hollywood exec scene. They are/were always known to take risks on movies Hollywood would never give a chance (Scream, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Lord of the Rings, Sin City, etc.). But now I'm kind of torn. In this article from Variety it seems like the Weinsteins are following the trend of remakes and 3-D. I'm shocked actually. But given the Weinsteins track record, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Source Variety:
Promising that “I'm going back to doing what I do best,” Bob Weinstein has unveiled several films to be released by Dimension over the next year, many in 3-D.

Scream IV will start production in April or May as the first of a new trilogy and the company is talking to Wes Craven to direct, Weinstein reports. Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox and David Arquette will star.

In addition, the company wants to shoot Halloween III in 3-D, aiming to release it in October 2010. Dimension also is remaking the cult classic, Children of the Corn.

I’m heading back to my franchise films,” Weinstein declared, citing plans to shoot sequels to "Hell Raisers” (yeah, I'm sure he meant Hellraiser) and Scanners in 3D. Also on the slate are Short Circuit and American Warewolf in London (again, I'm sure he meant "Werewolf"). “These films are our strength and we are committed to doing them in style.”

The first three Scream pictures registered grosses of roughly $100 million a piece in the U.S.

Weinstein also said that The Road will open wide on November 25th in some 800 theatres.

In response to a query, Weinstein said “there is no question that financing is readily available to produce and market these films.” He added: “I am eager to expand our scope in the 3D business.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters