Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Top 10 Vampire Movies

With the vampire trend running full steam, it is slowly making me throw up in my mouth. Not because I don't like vampires, it's because all these recent vampires are emo teenagers looking for love. Give me a break. Vampires should be sinister and scary. Let me give you examples of REAL vampire flicks....

1. Salem's Lot
This movie scared the crap out of me as a kid. It's Stephen King's most underrated film and nails vampirism perfectly. Who would've thought that a made for tv movie would be so freakin' scary! The scene with the little vampire kid scratching at that window still gives me chills to this day. And the glow in the dark eyes of the vampires are still EXTREMELY effective. Even though the head vampire, Barlow, is a complete rip-off of Nosferatu, he is still realistic and scary. If you haven't seen this movie, give it a go.


2. Fright Night
Fright Night is awesome! I don't know one person who doesn't like this movie. My son, who was born 10 years after Fright Night was released, loves this movie. It mixed horror and comedy beautifully. All the characters were identifiable and likable. Roddy McDowell gives his best performance of his career as a has-been horror movie icon turned vampire hunter. This movie is timeless.


3. Lost Boys
Even though this movie had a lot of homosexual undertones (the shirtless Rob Lowe poster, Corey Haim's flamboyant wardrobe, "I ain't got a man, I ain't got a home, I'm a lonely girl!" bathtub scene) this movie is one of the best vampire movies ever. As an 80s kid, this flick was monumental in my eyes. It was trendy, stylish, and addictive. I watched The Lost Boys probably 100 times as a kid. There were pretty much no scares in the movie, but Joel Shumacher nails it with the action and comedy. The movie has aged well even though the movie was made in 1985. And please....don't judge this movie by it's sequel.


4. From Dusk Till Dawn
I'm a huge Robert Rodriguez fan and that's because of this movie. I never liked George Clooney either but he was perfect as one half of the psychotic Gecko brothers. He plays probably one of my favorite roles I've ever seen. The movie has Tarantino all over it too which is what made it so appealing. The movie starts off as a heist flick and then suddenly out of nowhere vampires appear. It was genius. It's funny, gory, and action-packed. This movie is probably the first on the list I would recommend everyone watch first.


5. Blade 2
Most people like the first Blade as do I. But I feel the second is better. Del Toro's Reaper vampires are stunning. They have jaws like The Predator and make every scene gory. This movie has action from start to finish and keeps you entertained the whole time. This sequel is one of the rare instances where it's better than the original. Blade 2 is a true showcase for Del Toro's knack for creating original and memorable creatures.


6. Let the Right One In
This movie was a HUGE surprise. I had no idea it was going to be as good as it was. Who would've thought a swedish movie about child vampires would be so original and great. The atmosphere the movie is set in is perfect. Most will shy away from this movie because it's foreign. I beg you not to.


7. Vamp
This movie was made in 1985 and I'll be the first to admit it hasn't aged well. But, that doesn't mean it still isn't a good movie. It's like a buddy comedy with vampires. Vamp is definitely more comedy than horror, so don't expect scares. Actually, had I not seen this movie in the 80s, it probably wouldn't be on my list. But it is because it's still entertaining after all these years. Grace Jones as a vampire?? Come on!! I couldn't find the trailer. so here's a scene...


8. 30 Days of Night
I'm a sucker for survival movies and this one doesn't disappoint. Being stranded in Alaska during their "blackout" with vampires is pure genius. The graphic novel was excellent and the movie was even better. The setting is the true star of the movie. It's dark and cold and that's exactly how you feel watching it. If anything, check this movie out for the best over-head shot scene I've ever encountered.


9. Bram Stoker's Dracula
I didn't appreciate this movie the first time I saw it. Honestly, it took 3 times. I think it was the whole Keanu Reeves thing throwing me off. I don't know. But the important thing is that I like it now. Gary Oldman as Dracula is perfect. He is one of the best actors alive and proudly puts it on display here. If you've seen it once and didn't like it. I say give it another chance.


10. Dracula (1931)
The original that created horror movies as we know it. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Hit Counters